- €450,000 allocated across the country to Local Authorities for the refurbishment and development of playgrounds and play areas
- 30 projects awarded funding under the Play and Recreation Grant Scheme for 2022
- Projects awarded include wheelchair accessible swings, sensory equipment, and inclusive play units.
Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Roderic O’Gorman, T.D., has approved the awarding of €450,000 to Local Authorities across Ireland for the refurbishment of existing playgrounds and the development of new playgrounds and new play areas.
Local Authorities will benefit from funding for 30 projects under the Capital Grant Scheme in 2022.
The projects funded by the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth (DCEDIY) encompass a wide range of initiatives that will deliver diverse benefits to children and young people and have a positive impact on communities.
These projects include:
- Inclusive basket swing seat
- Wheelchair accessible swing
- Sensory Equipment
- Natural Play Areas
- Accessibility/Biodiversity Playground upgrade(s)
- Learn to cycle track
- Inclusive carousel
Launching the Play and Recreation funding, the Minister said:
Children’s playgrounds and play areas should be places of fun and activity for all children to enjoy, so that every child can experience the joy and excitement that comes with playing outdoors.
By ensuring that our playgrounds include play equipment that is accessible and encourages inclusion, we are expanding opportunities for play that will benefit every child. This year, I am delighted that 29 Local Authorities have been successful in their applications to enhance their play facilities so that children of all abilities can express themselves in a safe environment and know that they belong.
Sign Up To My Free Newsletter
Join over 5,000 other subscribers to my free newsletter to get instant access to premium content, national news, local news and invaluable insights and updates you may have missed