Friday 9th April 2021
- Local Groups can apply for funding immediately
- A total of €70 million to support rural communities and enterprises
- Funding allocations for 29 Local Action Groups announced
- Ground-Up approach of LEADER a key plank of Our Rural Future
The Minister for Rural and Community Development, Heather Humphreys, T.D. has announced the details of the allocation of the €70 million Transitional LEADER programme for the period 2021-2022.
- €65 million is being allocated to support locally-led rural development projects across the 29 Local Action Groups (LAGs)
- €3 million is being allocated to support the LEADER Co-operation measure which encourages rural areas to work together on collaborative projects
- €2 million will be allocated to prepare for the next LEADER Programme
The government has also today published the funding allocations being provided to each of the 29 Local Action Groups (LAGs).
Announcing details of the new programme today, Minister Humphreys said:
Government alone does not have all the answers and there can be no one-size-fits-all approach.
Every Town, Village and Parish is different and that means the people best placed to effect change in their communities are the people who live there.
LEADER has always been about a ground-up, community-led approach and that’s why I am delighted to announce details of this new €70million fund today.
Minister of State, Anne Rabbitte welcomed the announcement:
This funding will support locally-led projects which focus on many of the key themes of Our Rural Future such as building capacity, empowering local communities, embracing opportunities in the green economy, supporting remote working and digital transformation, developing our outdoor amenities and creating jobs in rural areas. I am excited to work with all the stakeholders to ensure East Galway benefits
The new programme is now open for applications and I would encourage communities and local enterprises who wish to avail of funding to make contact with their Local Development Company to discuss how the LEADER Programme can assist their plans.
Contact details for all Local Action Groups and their Implementing Partners (Local Development Companies) can be located here